Monday, December 26, 2005

The Baptism of Our Lord

The next time I'll be preaching is 8 Jan 06 which is the celebration of the baptism of our Lord. So my devotional writings will center around the pericopes for that week as I prepare for the sermon. The readings are Genesis 1:1-5, Acts 19:1-7, and Mark 1:4-11. The psalm is 29.

The first thing I like to do in looking at a pericope is to look for a common thread between the readings. I also look for a theme incorporating the theme of a special Sunday like this one: the Baptism of Our Lord.

First, a quick look at each of the readings:

Genesis 1:1-5-God creates light
Acts 19:1-7 Paul informs people who had been baptized by John about the Holy Spirit
Mark 1:4-11 Jesus is baptized

A connection between the Acts and Mark readings are the role of repentance and the Holy Spirit in baptism. The connection between Genesis and baptism is the beginning of light. Baptism ushers in the light of Christ into a persons life and that person becomes a new creation. As God created the world so He creates new people through baptism.

We repent, we receive the Holy Spirit, and we are recreated as new creatures in Christ.

My reflections the next couple of weeks will revolve around three elements: repentance, the Holy Spirit, and re-creation.My prayer is that a unique angle of connection between these elements and baptism will emerge and serve as the basis for an engaging sermon!

I invite you to join me on this journey! I'll publish the finished sermon on my new website: www.livingsermons.com. The new site is up but I don't have content on it. This sermon on 8 Jan 05 will be my first post to that site.

Peace!

Pastor Boarts

No comments: