Friday, December 30, 2005

Voice On the Water

Reflecting on Jesus' baptism led me to consider the role of water. Through a chain of thought I came to a new understanding of the role of water in Jesus' ministry.

Several times in the Gospels, Jesus preaches from a boat just off shore. Commonly we understand His purpose in doing this was to reach a greater number of people--voices carry better over water and He could reach a significant number of people from a boat just off shore.

This is also a symbolic action. As I considered the role of water in the re-creation of baptism, I also considered its role in the creation of the world. In the beginning of creation, when God spoke the words of creation, He was hovering over the waters. Christ also spoke words over the water in His ministry of re-creation.

This role of water in creation and in Jesus' ministry makes a compelling connection that I continue to ponder.

Peace!

No comments: